When it comes to finding an accurate car transport quote online, the fact remains that most car shipping calculators are notoriously inaccurate and can vary greatly. This also isn’t entirely about the car carrier so proceed with caution when using a car shipping calculator.
If you have been thinking about shipping a car there are several factors that should be considered which can contribute to the overall car shipping cost. Every car transport option will be different and this will affect the overall cost.
In this article, we hope to cover the most relevant factors, which can influence car-shipping costs and hopefully provide you an idea of what you can expect to pay. You decision ultimately should not come down to focusing solely on the car transport price since cheap car shipping doesn’t always translate to a reliable or trustworthy experience.
Types Of Car Transport Methods
Your car shipping rate will be based on which transport option you go with. When an auto transport company ships your car cross country or to another state there are three methods of transport to choose from.
· Open Air Transport: This is the most popular and affordable transport method. This type of transport can load up to ten vehicles on an open trailer. Most transport companies charge around $700 per car for every 1,000 miles with this method
· Enclosed Transport: This type of transport is arguably the safest among all car shipping methods. This type of transport is better for luxury or antique cars that need the best protection available from potential road hazards or elemental exposure. This is also the most expensive shipping option and on average will costs around $1100 for every 1,000 miles.
· Expedited Shipping: This shipping method is great when you’re in a hurry and need to relocate to a new home quickly. It’s also a good option if the previous car hauler did a poor job transporting your car. This type of service will prioritize your delivery allowing you to relocate quicker.
All shipping quotes for car transport will also factor in the distance needing to be travelled between the pick up and drop off locations. Obviously, the farther the distance, the more an auto transport company is going to charge for their car shipping services.
The average cost for a domestic shipment traveling only 150 miles will run around $500. These prices will typically include the loading, unloading and any storage for your vehicles while awaiting delivery to its final destination.
Remember that the cost for car shipping is impacted by the distance it will travel. For more information on how to ship a car to another state, check out our state to state car shipping page. You can expect to pay around $500 if it’s a short distance move of only 150 miles. The cost of car shipping will vary based on the season/month you are shipping, along with the travel distance and type of transport method used.
This is why we would advise taking a car shipping calculator at face value. You’ll be able to get a more accurate quote by contacting the transport company directly. Also take a look at your pickup and delivery locations. Will your transport quote include the specified pick up and drop off locations you want?
The Time Of Year
The cost for car transport will fluctuate based on the month you ship your vehicle. You can expect costs to increase during the peak travel seasons since more people will be travelling and need to have their vehicles transported. This can again be an issue with some car shipping calculators since they don’t often take into account supply and demand. Our recommendation is to always speak directly with an auto transport company so you can get the most accurate shipping price.
As previously mentioned, the cost of transporting your vehicle is largely dependent on when it is being shipped and the final destination of the transport. Let’s say you are looking to ship a car from Florida to California during the summer months (June to August). There will be a higher demand for car transport during these months simply because it’s the easiest. The summer months are typically associated with less risk for rainfall and storms with less hazardous road conditions. You can expect pricing to be higher because of this.
Choosing The Best Car Transport Company
There are many different auto transport companies available to help you meet your requirements. Since you already have a lot of work ahead of you, you should be diligent when searching for the right car shipping company. Check out a few of our suggestions below.
· Reviews: It’s always a good idea to research and read the reviews on each car transport company. Reading other peoples experiences first can help you decide on the company you should go with.
· Quotes: Get several quotes from your top choices and compare them to get an idea of what you will have to pay.
· Customer Service: Lastly, contact each of your preferred transport company’s customer service and learn more about their respective car shipping methods. From here you should be able to decide on which auto transport company will be best for you.
How To Reduce The Cost Of Car Transport
By now you should be realize that the costs associated with car transport depend mostly on the auto
transport factors that matter the most to you. This doesn’t mean however that you will need to compromise on your vehicles safety or having reliable customer service. You will need to try and find a balance between getting the best transport services and separating them from the needlessly expensive ones.
Here are a few tips to make sure you get the most from your car transport costs:
· Open or Enclosed Transport: If you need to ship a compact/economical car during the summer months open air transport will be your best choice. If you need to ship a luxury vehicle or antique car then an enclosed transport is your safest bet.
· Plan Ahead: If you are able, booking ahead of time at least 2-3 weeks in advance will help you reduce costs no matter which month you ship your vehicle.
· Reduce Your Vehicle’s Weight: Since the weight of your vehicle is a factor in the shipping costs it only makes sense that the heavier your vehicle the more expensive it will cost to ship. By removing any personal items from the car and keeping the fuel under a ¼ tank will help to keep your car’s weight as light as possible.
When it comes to the cost of car transport, you really have two options:
· Skip the car shipping calculator and reach out directly to an agent at a car transport company to get the most accurate quotes.
· Opt for the better car transport company by paying a little more so you can ensure the safety of your vehicle and avoid any potential headaches caused by being too frugal.
Remember that you’re paying for convenience and comfort here. If you are prudent with your pricing for vehicle transport, you are taking the chance of having your car become damaged during the transport. The vehicle may also arrive beyond the agreed upon date or even risk issues at customs if the car was being shipped from abroad.
Don’t forget the saying, “You get what you pay for” as this is certainly true in the auto transport industry. Just consider your budget and the possible risks you’ll be subjecting your vehicle to, before making a final decision.