Maserati celebrates the 70th anniversary of the A6G 2000
The first A6G 2000 was delivered 70 years ago, in February 1951. The car was just part of the A6 series built by Maserati from 1947 to 1956 and named after Alfieri Maserati (hence the letter A) with a 6 indicating the straight-six engine.
The new model replaced the A6 1500. The Italian market demanded higher-performing cars leading Maserati to convert the A6GCS two-litre engine to fully exploit the potential of the A6’s chassis. The upgraded engine, with a displacement of 1,954cc, achieved a power output of 90 to 100 hp depending on the final setup, enabling a top speed of 180 km/h.
At the 1950 Turin Motor Show launch of the A6G 2000 Maserati presented in two versions: a 4-seater, 2-door sedan by Pininfarina, and a convertible designed by Pietro Frua.
Sixteen of these cars were assembled in 1950 and 1951: nine with bodywork by Pininfarina, and five convertibles and a coupé by Pietro Frua. Alfredo Vignale produced just one car, a two-tone A6G 2000 coupé, with his signature sporty stylistic features.
Rear-wheel drive, four-speed gearbox and a dry-mounted single disc clutch completed the characteristics of the new A6G 2000, together with the independent front and rear suspension comprising rigid axle with leaf springs. Hydraulically operated drum brakes on all four corners and solid steel or spoked wheels.
Uniqueness, sportiness and Italian construction are all central to Maserati’s DNA and are still visible today.