Wow I feel old. With the 3oth anniversary of Back to the Future in 2015, I thought we should look at the DeLorean. Is the DeLorean DMC-12 a Classic? LV recently producted an article titled “Reasons to invest in a DeLorean” which raised many interesting points.
- The DeLorean Motor Company only ever produced one model, the DMC-12;
- the estimated total of DeLorean DMC-12’s made was 9,000 vehicles, with only around 6,000 vehicles still on the road today; mainly in America;
- it has an innovative body styling which was designed by the famous Italian car designer Giorgetto Giugiaro;
- it’s an iconic car, due to its history and that it featured in such a popular movie series (Back to the Future);
- its gull-wing doors and the stainless steel body panels make the DeLorean DMC-12 a unique vehicle;
- the fibreglass body and stainless steel panels mean that the vehicle is not prone to rusting;
- a good example can be purchased in the UK today in a price range from £25,000 – £35,000.
- a special 2.85 litre version of the PRV V6 engine was designed and built specifically for the DMC-12, allowing for an impressive 0–60 miles per hour in 8.8 seconds for the manual transmission model and 10.5 seconds for the automatic transmission model.
So what do you think, will the DeLorean DMC-12 continue to rise in popularity and thus its value will continue ever upwards?
I think it’s a very cool car, but I’m not convinced it’s a classic,however, it will appeal to many a car and movie fan, so prices will steadily increase over time, I’m sure of that.